Monday, April 22, 2013
Recipe for tasty vegan, dairy-free, nut-free gluten-free cupcakes
Cupcakes have been a big trend in the past several years. The sweet treat once associated with kids’ birthday parties has popped up on the menus of top tier restaurants and presented as tiered wedding cakes, while entire gourmet shops are dedicated solely to the many varieties of the cupcake. They hand held confection may come in every exotic flavor imaginable, from lavender to lemonade, but we have heart for a pure chocolate cupcakes… dairy-free, vegan, nut-free cupcakes that is!
Here’s an easy and tasty recipe to make delicious chocolate cupcakes that are guilt-free too and can be served to anyone with nut allergies or dairy-free or vegan diets.
· 2 ¾ cups all purpose flour (or gluten-free flour if desired)
· 1 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
· 2 tsp baking soda
· 1/2 tsp baking powder
· ½ tsp salt
· 2 ¼ cup granulated sugar
· 1 T apple cider vinegar
· ½ cup soy yogurt (use chocolate for extra rich flavor)
· ¾ unsweetened applesauce
· 2 cups boiling water
· 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
· 1 ½ cups dairy free dark chocolate (break up bars into pieces and dice with knife)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Fill two 12-cup muffin pans with cupcake liners
3. Pour cocoa powder in medium-sized bowl and pour the boiling water over, whisking until smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
4. In another bowl, blend flower, baking soda, baking powder and salt well.
5. In a large mixing bowl, beat yogurt and sugar with a hand mixer until whipped-like. Beat in applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla. Then add separate portions of the flour and cocoa powder, alternating until well blended. Fold in chocolate chunks until evenly distributed.
6. Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 of the way and bake for 20-25 minutes until the tops are springy to the touch.
What are some of your favorite dairy free chocolate recipes? Feel free to share them here! What other types of recipes would you like to have?